Strong aftershock of deadly earthquake rattles Ecuador
Ecuador’s national geological institute, which measured the quake at 6.8, said it struck at 2:57 am local time (0757 GMT) in the South American country’s western Manabi region.
President Rafael Correa, writing on Twitter, reassured a public still jittery after last month’s quake that “there is no tsunami alert” following this latest earthquake.
Correa, who said he was tweeting from the offices of the national emergency operations bureau, also told the public there was no need for alarm.
“Everyone remain calm,” he tweeted, adding that inhabitants of Quito can safely go back inside their homes.
The president said parts of Manabi and nearby Esmeraldas province were without power, and only “minor damage” had been reported in some areas.
Wednesday’s quake had a depth of 32 kilometers (21 miles) and was centered 136 kilometers (85 miles) northwest of Quito, the USGS said.
Last month’s 7.8 magnitude quake, the worst to strike Ecuador in decades, caused buildings to collapse and roads to buckles, with the cost of the damage running into the billions of dollars.
The earthquake was powerful enough to shake people awake in the Colombian city of Cali, some 480 kilometers (300 miles) to the northeast, a city resident reported.
The only people who were injured in Wednesday’s quake were people who “ran outside, tripped, things like that,” Correa said, without offering any numbers.
No comments yet