Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

WED: Oando champions waterway clean up


Oando Foundation

In commemoration of the 2018 World Environment Day themed, ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’, Oando Plc. championed a cleanup exercise of Cowrie Creek, Ozumba Mbadiwe water way.

World Environment Day is an initiative by the United Nations (UN) to encourage worldwide awareness and action to protect the environment.

Speaking on the significance of the initiative, Kayode Boladale, GM, Operations Integrity, Oando Energy Resources said, “We have taken up the mantle to clean up this waterway in a bid to beat plastic pollution which is a menace in Lagos. Did you know that plastic accounts for 10% of all the waste we generate?

Did you know we buy 1 million plastic bottles every minute? Did you know it takes up to 450 years for plastic to decompose?


With facts like these it is imperative that we start to rethink the way we use plastic for the good of the planet. We championed this initiative in order to set an example for others; individuals and companies to follow.”
With a population of over 170 million people, Nigeria produces more plastic waste than the infrastructure can manage.

Lagos, a population of 21 million inhabitants, produces upwards of 10,000 metric tonnes of plastic waste daily. Only 40% of the waste is properly disposed of, the remaining 60% litters the roads and waterways.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet