The failed prophesies on Buhari
Sir: One by one, all of PYO’s assurances have fallen flat. The Pastor’s prophecies have bombed big time and the good things Nigerians were promised would happen if PMB was elected president have failed to materialize.
• Buhari will bring change.
False. The only change Buhari has brought to Nigeria is that life for the average man on the street has taken a turn for the worse. Since Buhari took office, Nigeria has overtaken India as the new poverty capital of the world.
• Buhari is a man of integrity who will bring an end to corruption in Nigeria.
False. Corruption has gained 750 pounds since Buhari took office; it is now an 800-pound gorilla with an insatiable appetite.
• Buhari believes in constitutional democracy and democratic governance.
False. Nigeria, under Buhari, is no different from a military dictatorship. Citizens are arrested and jailed extra-judicially; freedom of speech and freedom of association are under attack.
• Buhari will revolutionize the economy.
False. In January 2015, just before the presidential elections that got him the coveted job, the Naira exchanged for N180.50 to $1. Today, it is almost N600 to $1. Nigeria is in a rapid economic decline.
• Buhari will transform the educational system.
False. Nigerian children are some of the least educated in the world. One in every five of the world’s out-of-school children is in Nigeria.
• Buhari will modernize the antiquated health care system.
False. The health care system remains prehistoric. The teaching hospitals are like museums where the relics of the good old days are stored and the other hospitals are places you go to die and not to get well. Whenever Buhari sneezes, he hops on the presidential jet and flies to London to receive care.
• Buhari will solve the perennial unemployment of Nigerian youths.
False. Youth unemployment has never been higher at any point in Nigeria’s history, it’s at an all-time high of 53.4 percent.
• Buhari will stop police brutality and harassment of innocent citizens.
False. Police brutality and harassment of innocent citizens have worsened. In the #EndSARS protest, at least 56 people around the country were killed.
• Buhari will restore security in Nigeria
False. Nigeria has never been less secured. Boko Haram is having a field day. Bandits roam freely and unmolested on the highways kidnapping people for ransom and killing their prey for sport.
• Buhari is not a tribalist, his cabinet will reflect national character.
False. Nearly 70 percent of Buhari’s cabinet are Northerners. The choice offices and most sensitive positions are reserved for Fulani men. And his inner circle and most trusted aides are his relatives from Daura.
• Akin Ojumu MD, MPH is resident in the Washington DC area. E-mail: