No one can pull the plug on Fury-Joshua showdown -Hearn

Joshua and Fury blockbuster showdown beckons

Promoter Eddie Hearn has insisted that the proposed blockbuster fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua will go ahead, despite fresh uncertainty over where the bout will be staged.

Fury claimed on Friday that the fight was unlikely to happen, but Hearn, who represents Joshua, said the agreement had already been signed and could not simply be cancelled.

“We’ve signed the contract, we’re waiting for a date. You saw Tyson Fury shouting and screaming … there’s nothing to shout and scream about, the fight’s done,” Hearn told DAZN.

“The fight’s signed. No one can pull out of the fight. You can’t just pull out of a contract.

“There’s no suggestion that the fight’s not happening. No-one can stop this fight from happening. The only way it can stop from happening is if they actually breach the contract.”

Fury and Joshua had been expected to meet in November in what would be one of the biggest fights in British boxing history.

Joshua and Hearn have signed a contract for the bout to be staged in the United Kingdom, while Saudi organisers Sela are pushing for the fight to be moved to the United States.

Joshua and Fury have separate contracts with Sela. New York’s Madison Square Garden is understood to be Sela’s preferred venue, with the fight set to be broadcast on Netflix and potentially attract a larger American audience.

“We know everybody and his dog involved in the fight wants to do the fight in America. We don’t,” Hearn added.

“We’ve told Sela and the team, ‘If you want to do it in America, these are the terms that we can move forward with. But we’d rather not, please.'”

Fury had earlier cast doubt on the fight in a series of posts on social media, blaming Hearn and Joshua for demanding more money.

“Doesn’t look like they’re going to sign the fight and it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen all because Eddie Hearn and that want more money,” Fury said.

The uncertainty centres largely on the proposed change of venue. While Anthony Joshua and Hearn’s agreement calls for the fight to be held in the UK, Sela reportedly prefers the United States.

Hearn said the main issue was the financial impact of moving the bout to America, particularly the different tax implications for Joshua.

“In layman’s terms, by staging the fight in America, Anthony Joshua receives less money than he would do if the fight was in the UK where he was contractually agreed,” he told IFL TV on Thursday.

Fury responded by describing Joshua and Hearn as “disgusting” and “money-thirsty”.

“It is what it is. Same old cliché a decade later. Keep running, you little cowards,” he added.

In further posts laced with expletives, Fury called Hearn a “bag carrier” and questioned Joshua’s mindset.

“I’ll move on and fight somebody else, but just know you never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury, ever, you little coward,” Fury said.

Despite the public war of words, Hearn remains adamant that the long-awaited all-British heavyweight showdown is contractually secured and will take place.

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget