Insigne signs new five-year deal at Napoli
Italian international winger Lorenzo Insigne has signed a five-year contract extension with Napoli that will see him remain at the club until June 2022, it was announced Saturday.
With 14 goals and seven assists in Serie A so far this season Insigne has been pushing his case for a new, improved deal at the club he joined as a youth player in 2006.
After a series of veiled threats from the 25-year-old that his future could lie elsewhere, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis was quick to tie the diminutive front man down.
“Insigne is an emblem of Napoli and I’m really happy because it takes time to build things that last,” said De Laurentiis.
Insigne came through Napoli’s youth set-up and was sent on loan to Foggia and Pescara before joining the senior side for the 2012-2013 season.
He has emerged as a key player for Maurizio Sarri’s men amid a revival that has seen Napoli return to the Champions League in recent seasons.
No financial details of the deal were revealed, but Insigne said: “I’m proud to have renewed my contract at the club for another five years. I hope I don’t ever take this jersey off again. Now I want to win trophies.
“Obviously being from Napoli, the fans have a lot of expectations on me, but I grew facing challenges and I know how to face them.”
Napoli finished runners-up to Juventus last season to clinch the league’s second automatic Champions League qualifying spot but are currently third, two points behind Roma, and 10 behind leaders Juventus.
Napoli are away to Sassuolo on Sunday.