How To Prepare Tasty Green Chicken Curry
Originally from Thailand, this tweaked recipe suits the Nigerian kitchen. This curry goes well with rice, pasta and yam.
For green curry paste
- 15 green chillies
- ½ white peppercorns
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 15 basil leaves
- 3 tbsp lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (yellow lemons)
- 3 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
1. Blend peppercorn and coarse salt. Remove and set aside.
2. Cut green chillies in half and remove the seeds, chop finely before blending to a fine paste.
3. Add basil leaves, lemongrass, ginger, zest, shallots, garlic and the peppercorn mixture. Blend into a fine paste.
For the chicken curry
- 1 ¾ cup thick coconut milk
- 3 tbsp green curry paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 500g chicken, cut into choice bits
- 1 cup Thai basil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped – for garnish
- In a saucepan over low heat, pour half of the coconut milk and boil until thick and the oil starts to separate from the milk.
- Add curry paste and stir until paste thickens.
- Pour the remaining cup of milk and add a little part of the stock for thick curry or all the stock for runny curry.
- Leave to boil for another seven minutes.
- Stir and taste.
- Add the basil and chopped bell pepper, then turn off the fire.
- Serve with choice staple food.