Simple Exercises For Rock Solid Abs
Exercises for the abdominal region might seem like a daunting task for some, but, it’s pretty simple if you can stick to a consistent routine that works for you. Here are some exercises you could try.
The Side Crunch
A relatively difficult move that gets easier with practice, the side crunch puts your balance to the test while touching on your oblique muscles slightly.
- Kneel on the floor and lean over to your right side, placing your right palm on the floor.
- Keeping your weight balanced, slowly extend your left leg and point your toes.
- Place your left hand behind your head, pointing your elbow toward the ceiling.
- Slowly lift your leg to hip height as you extend your arm above your leg, with your palm facing forward.
- Look out over your hand while bringing the left side of your rib cage toward your hip.
- Lower to your starting position and repeat 6 to 8 times.
- Do two sets of 6 to 8 reps, and then switch sides.
The Prone Plank
A simple exercise you can do anywhere that target your abs.
- Get into a full pushup position with your palms on the floor beneath your shoulders.
- Hold here for 30 seconds, with your abs contracted and your arms and legs extended and your head aligned with your spine.
- As you build strength, hold this position longer, up to one minute.
- Go deeper: Try the one-arm stable switching plank.
This is a modified half crunch with a graceful twist that leaves you feeling energized.
- Sit on the floor and extend your legs, pressing them firmly together.
- Lean back 45 degrees from the hips.
- Keep your abs engaged as you bring both your arms overhead like a ballerina.
- Slowly twist your torso to the right, placing your right arm on the mat. Keep your left arm reaching overhead for a slow count of 3.
- Repeat the movement, keeping your left arm on the floor, and keeping your butt and heels on the floor.
- Contract your abs to support your spine as you return to centre, bringing both arms overhead.
- Continue alternating sides. Do 2 sets of 6 to 8 reps on each side.