The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter

50,000 displaced in deadly Brazil floods

Related

Residents of the city of Barreiros try to save their belongings form their homes affectd by floods, due to heavy rains in Pernambuco state, northeastern Brazil, on May 30, 2017. 50,000 people fled their homes in the Brazilian northern states of Pernambuco and Alagoas after a storm led to floods, landslides and the falling of trees, leaving at least six dead this weekend. Leo Caldas / AFP

Floods and landslides in northeastern Brazil have killed six people and driven 50,000 people from their homes, authorities said Tuesday.

Heavy rain swelled rivers, causing mud slides, felling trees and harming water supplies, they said.

The number forced to flee in Pernambuco and Alagoas states rose from an earlier estimate of 30,000, the regional governments said.

Both states declared emergencies after the flooding, which left two dead in Pernambuco and four dead in Alagoas.

President Michel Temer, who is fighting for his political future amid a corruption crisis, briefly abandoned the capital Brasilia to fly over the disaster zone on Sunday.

Temer also used the visit in Pernambuco to authorize a 600-million-reais ($184-million) loan from the BNDES state development bank for the completion of four dams that had been announced back in 2010, state-owned Agencia Brasil reported.


In this article:
BNDESBrazil flood

No Comments yet