Buhari reacts to Kaduna crisis
Nigeria’s president Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the communal clashes that have left over 55 persons dead in Kasuwan, Kaduna State.
“The violence in Kaduna, which has resulted in the deaths of 55 innocent people, is condemnable”, Buhari said in a twitter post on Sunday night.
Earlier on Sunday, there was tension in Kaduna metropolis following the rumour of reprisal of the violence in Kasuwar Magani area of the state on Friday.
Many residents of Kaduna metropolis on Sunday rushed indoors as irate youth burnt old tyres along Katsina road, Ibrahim Taiwo road, Lagos street and Ahmadu Bello way.
The state governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Sunday evening imposed a 24-hour curfew in the state.
“This is a notice of a 24-hour curfew imposed on Kaduna town and environs, with immediate effect. Residents are advised to comply by this directive. The decision has been taken in the best interest of the state,” El-Rufai said in a statement.
While reacting to the killings, Buhari commended the Kaduna State government for its rapid response to the crisis and also vowed that “the Federal Government and its law enforcement agencies will work with the State Government and community leaders to ensure the full restoration of peace and security.”
The President said “disregard for the sanctity of human life is unacceptable.”
“Violence is an ill-wind that blows nobody any good. I appeal to community leaders and citizens to always choose dialogue, patience and tolerance, to prevent crises from escalating into violence,” he added.
No comments yet