Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Court adjourns Metuh’s trial to May 24 over ill-health




The on-going trial of the National Publicity Secretary, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olisa Metuh, was abruptly adjourned yesterday till May 24 due to ill-health.

Metuh had arrived at the Federal High Court early enough as scheduled, supported by his family members. And when his case was called, he managed to go to the accused box.

Quickly, his counsel, Emeka Etiaba (SAN), went ahead to inform the court about Metuh’s health challenge, which he said, worsened on Wednesday night and he was rushed to the hospital by his brother in-law, Andy Aghaji.

Etiaba further told the court that on arrival at the hospital, they found out that nurses were on strike but were attended to by a doctor who administered some drugs on him.

“The doctor said that due to the fact that the nurses were on strike, there was nobody to take care of him that night.

“He then warned that the drugs would make him drowsy and that he should be taken home and be brought back to the hospital the following morning. They left the hospital at about 3.30 a.m. Thursday morning”.

Etiaba said that not knowing the gravity of the illness, asked Metuh to see how he could manage himself to the court this morning.

“However, upon arrival at the court, Metuh started vomiting at the car park and had to be assisted to the court room”, he said.

Etiaba told the court that it was obvious that Metuh could not stand the trial in his state of health and that he needed to be taken back to the hospital where he had been billed to be administered drugs at about 11:00 a.m.

He, therefore, prayed Justice Okon Abang’s court for an adjournment to enable Metuh go back to the hospital for treatment.

Etiaba’s application for adjournment was supported by the counsel to the second defendant, Tochukwu Onwugbufor, who told the court that he was aware that since Metuh fell in the office, his health had continued to deteriorate and he had not been able to go to work.

Meanwhile, counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Sylvanus Tahir, did not object the application for adjournment since it bordered on health.

The case was consequently adjourned to May 24 for continuation of trial.

In this article:
EFCCEmeka EtiabaMetuhPDP
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet