Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp
x

Edo bars unvaccinated civil servants from work today

Related

Edo State Government has barred unvaccinated civil servants from offices and those yet to take COVID-19 vaccination from accessing public places, beginning from today.

Governor Godwin Obaseki had earlier directed that unvaccinated persons would be denied access to banks, government offices, worship and event centres from mid September, which generated criticisms, as a group sought to restrain the government from carrying out its threat in court, but Obaseki stood his ground.

Permanent Secretary in the Edo State Ministry of Health, Osamwonyi Irowa, said with effect from September 15, 2021, the state would commence enforcement of the “no vaccination card, no access to public places” policy.

x

Irowa said government had trained 20 special teams that would enforce the policy across the 18 local government of the state.

“Beginning from September 15, Civil servants and others without COVID-19 vaccination cards will not be allowed into public facilities. The Task Force will man Government House and public places.

“Civil servants without the vaccination cards and those who have not vaccinated will have to work from home. This will be applicable in the 18 councils of the state,” he said.

IN another development, commercial activities were grounded for several hours in Benin City; yesterday, as students of the University Of Benin (UNIBEN), protested against increase in school fees.

The protesters blocked the main gate of the Ugbowo campus of the university, a situation that caused serious traffic gridlock on the Benin-Lagos highway.

The Guardian learnt that the students were charged additional N14, 000 in their regular school fees and an additional N6, 000 within a short notice, even as the management allegedly demanded extra charges for late payment of school fees.

It was also learnt that students, who were yet to pay their school fees within the stipulated time would either pay the extra charges or lose their admissions.

But, the protesting students argued that the increment came just a week after resumption, arguing that payment of the late school fees was supposed to commence in the second semester.

Some of the students told newsmen that while they were yet to pay the first increment of N14, 000, the school authority added another N6, 000 to the charges.

Public Relations Officer of the university, Dr. Benedicta Ehanire, could not be reached on her mobile telephone as at press time, but President of the Students Union Government (SUG), Egwu Benjamin Lotanna, said management should convene a meeting to address the issues.

x

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet