Fire destroys shops, apartment in Ilasamaja, Lagos
It was a tragic moment for shop owners and residents of 29 and 31 Alhaji Tanimola Street, Ilasamaja, Lagos as fire consumed the two buildings and rendered many homeless.
The Guardian learnt the fire started at about 4:00 p.m .from a bungalow at 31 Alhaji Tanimola and spread to 29 Alhaji Tanimola Street.
But early intervention by the Lagos State Fire Service men prevented the fire from consuming more buildings in the area.
Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Lagos Fire Service, Amodu Shuaibu, who confirmed the incident to The Guardian, so no casualty or injury was recorded.
He said two main shops and one adjoining shop and about 10 rooms in the bungalow building at 31 Alhaji Tanimola street were affected, while the other bungalow building consist of two-room and parlour and four other rooms were also affected.
On the possible cause of the fire, he said: “A shop where ethanol is being sold and another one, which houses furniture making shops with thinner and polish must have caused the incident.
“Both the furniture and ethanol shop have combustible materials, which can cause fire if not handled with care coupled with the harmattan haze.”