FCT Police parade 10 suspected traffic robbers, kidnappers

Nigerian Police Force (NPF)

 

 

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has paraded 10 suspected traffic robbers, one armed robber, and kidnapping suspects as part of its continued efforts to rid the nation’s capital of criminal and violent activities.

FCT Commissioner of Police Ahmed Mohammed Sanusi told journalists during a press briefing on Wednesday that the suspects were arrested on Sunday, 16th of August 2026, following complaints from members of the public regarding the criminal activities of traffic robbers who sometimes disguise themselves as hawkers along congested roads and traffic stops within the FCT.

According to him, all Divisional Police Officers, particularly within the city centre, had been charged to ensure the evacuation of such persons from our roads.

“In order to effectively tackle crime and criminality, especially incidents of stolen vehicles and armed robbery within the Federal Capital Territory, we went back to our drawing board where we undertook a detailed review of the crime patterns within the FCT.

“This approach led to the following successes I will be reading out to you today.

“So far, we have arrested ten traffic robbery suspects, namely: Umar Salihu, Yusuf Isah, Aliyu Hamza, Abubakar Naziru, Muhammed Musa, Yagugu Mohammed, Suwidi Jibril, Kasimu Taraba, Abubakar Sani and Aminu Umar.

“They are in custody undergoing investigations.”

The FCT police Commissioner also said he has directed his Divisional Police Officers to clamp down on all traffic violators especially those found driving against traffic (popularly known as one way).

“So far, we have arrested 20 suspects for various traffic offences and they were all immediately charged to court.

“These operations will be sustained across all roads within the FCT until our roads are safe for all road users.

“On the 14th of July, 2026, following a complaint of armed robbery in Nyanya Area of the FCT, I directed the FCT Police Command Violent Crime Response Unit – Team 2 (VCRU – 2) to carry out a comprehensive investigation into the incident to uncover the facts and apprehend any person(s) found responsible for the crime.”

Sanusi said a detailed investigation of the incident revealed that a similar robbery incident took place in Kubwa Area of the FCT a few weeks after, replicating the same modus as the suspects responsible for the robbery in Nyanya.

“Consequently, we expanded investigations and with the help of credible intelligence volunteered by well-meaning members of the public as well as digital reconstructive intelligence, we trailed one Ismail Tasiu, a 32-year-old man, to a Hotel in Jabi district of the FCT where he was arrested in connection with the crimes. He was arrested in company of one Adamu Aliyu, a 35-year-old man who was identified as the usual receiver of items stolen by Ismail Tasiu and his gang.

“During the course of investigations, the following exhibits were recovered from them: five motorcycles, three knives, one license plate number, one face cap inscribed with ‘Kaduna State Vigilante Service'(KADVS).

“All exhibits and suspects are in custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigations.”

The command states further that on the 14th of August 2026 at about 6:00 PM, it received a distress call reporting the suspected kidnap of three hostages from their residence in Nyanya Area of the FCT.

“Following the report, I immediately deployed personnel of the Command’s Violent Crime Response Unit Team 1 to the scene.

“Investigations revealed that the suspects were taken to New-Nyanya Area of Nasarawa State, where they were kept hostage by their abductors. With the aid of intelligence from a well-meaning resident of the FCT, we trailed and arrested two suspects identified as Godwin Afekhide and Aaron Ogbu, who were directly linked to the kidnapping of the victims. All three victims were rescued unharmed and reunited with their family.

“In continuation of our efforts to rid the FCT of crime and criminal elements, personnel of the FCT Police Command Violent Crime Response Unit Team 1 on the 28th of July 2026, trailed and arrested six suspects, namely: Sanusi Yusuf, Zakari Mohammed, Sani Adamu, Abdulwasi Yahuza, Abdullahi Abah, Aliyu Mohammed.

“Further investigations revealed that the gang specializes in breaking and entering into houses at night, stealing valuables and stabbing victims.

“All suspects are in custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigations.
I want to use this opportunity to assure all residents of the Federal Capital Territory that we will continue to take the fight to criminal elements wherever they operate. We will identify their hideouts, disrupt their networks, recover their instruments of crime, and bring those responsible to justice.

“I therefore urge residents of the FCT to continue providing us with credible information on strange persons or suspicious activities within their communities. With your continued support and cooperation, we will make the Federal Capital Territory safer for all.”

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget