The elders of the Gidan Waya community in Lere Local Government Area of Kaduna have cried out to President Bola Tinubu and Governor Uba Sani to urgently intervene in their plight, saying that after paying N40 million as ransom demanded by terrorists, 13 victims kidnapped by the bandits are still in their den.
The elders revealed that inhabitants of the community sold more than 3,000 bags of maize to raise N40 million demanded by kidnappers, yet the 13 abducted villagers remain in captivity weeks after the ransom was paid.
Speaking at a press conference in Kaduna on Monday, Chairman of the Elders Forum, Mallam Rabo Sambo, recounted how gunmen stormed the community late at night on November 11, 2025, killing four residents and abducting 13 others- five men and eight women.
According to Sambo, the attack occurred between 11 p.m. and midnight, when residents were already asleep.
“We heard gunshots, and before we knew what was happening, the bandits had surrounded the settlement. Our community is a closed settlement, so they easily ambushed us,” he said.
He said four people were killed in the attack, and five others sustained gunshot injuries.
Further lamenting, Sambo said, “We just received a report from the bandits that a pregnant woman among those kidnapped has given birth in their custody,” adding, “Her husband was among those killed during the incident.”
“This is the first time we have experienced something like this. We have always lived in peace here. There has never been any crisis among us,” Sambo added.
The elder explained that the attackers could not be identified, as they wore masks during the operation.
In January 2026, the kidnappers reportedly contacted the community and demanded N40 million for the victims’ release. Sambo said the community had to painfully raise the money by selling its food reserves.
“To raise the ransom, we sold over 3,000 bags of maize. When the trailers came to load the maize, everyone in the community was crying. As soon as we got the money, it was taken straight to the kidnappers,” he said.
Despite paying the ransom, the abducted villagers have not been released.
“It has been three weeks since they were taken. Even today, as I speak to you, none of them has returned,” Sambo lamented.
The elder said the community decided to speak out publicly because they were unsure whether the Kaduna State Government or the Lere Local Government Council had been fully briefed on their ordeal.
“We don’t know whether His Excellency, Governor Uba Sani, is aware of what happened to us, or even our local government chairman. That is why we are appealing through the media,” he said.
While acknowledging the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in Lere, who reportedly visited the community several times after the attack, Sambo called for urgent intervention from the state and federal governments.
“We are calling on the President, the state government, the local government, and Governor Uba Sani to please help us secure the release of our people. We also want the governor to reach out to the federal government for assistance,” he appealed.
Beyond the trauma of the abduction, the community now faces hunger after selling its grain reserves.
“After selling our food to pay the ransom, we are now going hungry. We can no longer feed our families,” Sambo said, calling on the government to provide food support while the community awaits the return of their kidnapped relatives.
He described the situation as heartbreaking, noting that the entire community has been plunged into mourning, fear, and uncertainty.
“Everybody shed tears. We are suffering, and our people are still in captivity,” he said.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover