Wednesday, 26th January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Three lodgers allegedly die of generator fumes in Rivers hotel

By Obinna Nwaoku, Port Harcourt
16 December 2021   |   4:02 am
Three people were yesterday confirmed dead, while others were rescued unconscious in a hotel located at Elele Alimini community in Emohua Local Council of Rivers State.

Three people were yesterday confirmed dead, while others were rescued unconscious in a hotel located at Elele Alimini community in Emohua Local Council of Rivers State.

A member of Onelga Security Peace and Advisory Committee (OSPAC) in Rumuekpe, Isa Mohammed, who disclosed this in a telephone interview after visiting the scene, said the victims possibly died from fumes from a generating set.

According to him, information available revealed that the manager of the hotel took the generator inside the building, locked up everywhere while the generator set was on.

He explained that when the news of the incident filtered in the neighbourhood, some people who lodged in the hotel, including the manager made efforts to recover the remains of the deceased, while other victims were rushed to a nearby hospital for medical attention.

He said: “I was told two of my subjects were involved in this incident. I rushed to the place to find out where the incident happened, because, I don’t know there was a hotel there. On inspection, I saw one man, who told me that his girlfriend was lying critically ill in the hospital.

“Three people have been confirmed dead. I wonder how they could lodge people and put a generating set inside the house and lock up everywhere.”

Contacted, the Divisional Police Officer in charge of Egbeda Community in Emohua Area, confirmed the incident, stressing that the owner of the hotel has been invited for further investigation.