Oparaoji crumbles in Dayak Championships
Oparaoji, a wild card entrant, could not find solution to Kunal Anand’s fireworks that whipped him 6-0, 6-0 for the Indian to advance to the second round.
Oparaoji has become the first Nigerian casualty in the tournament that is being put together by the president of the Nigeria Tennis Federation (NTF), Dayo Akindoju.
Up and coming Musa Mohammed, another player given wild card to feature in the main draw of the 4th Dayak Championship ITF World Tennis Tour that served off Monday is still on holidays, as his match against last week’s finalist, Floyd Jaimee Kobelt has been scheduled for today. Both Mohammed and Kobelt are 19 years old.
Mohammed, who was shown the exit in the first round of Tombim last week, said he has recovered from the muscle pull that forced him to surrender to Maxine Mora.
“I suffered muscle pull against Maxime last week, and I’ve had good medical attention. I’m very fit to go far in the Dayak Championships,” Musa Mohammed hinted yesterday.
Mohammed is however among the three Nigerian players so far that have secured a berth in the main draw that has Maximilian Neuchrist as the top seed and Sadio Doumbia that clinched the Tombim Open, occupying the second position.
Tournament referee, Patrick Kamuhia of Kenya said all first round matches in the men’s singles would be completed today.
No comments yet