Two more Australian Open players ‘test positive’ amid quarantine row
Two more Australian Open tennis players have tested positive for COVID-19 after arriving in Melbourne, state health officials said yesterday. It comes after a player was believed to have tested positive on Sunday, amid growing controversy over the event.
One more “non-playing participant” also has COVID-19, bringing the overall total linked to the Open to seven, including a flight attendant. Some 1,200 people have flown in for the tournament, which begins February 8.
Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said in a statement that the latest three positive tests of two players and a non-participant were of a woman in her 20s and two men in their 30s, all of whom were in hotel quarantine.
But there was confusion when Tennis Australia disputed the latest announcement. Chief executive Craig Tiley said no players had tested positive at all — only those in their entourages. He said no players were in the medi-hotel, to which people are transferred if they test positive while in hotel quarantine.
Rows over quarantine rules have cast a shadow over the upcoming event. Some players have expressed frustration about being confined to hotel rooms full-time while other rivals are not.
And some residents in Melbourne — a city which endured one of the world’s longest lockdowns last year — have their own concerns about the potential Covid risk posed by the tournament.
Positive cases on three flights have forced 72 players into full quarantine, meaning they have to isolate full-time in their hotel rooms for 14 days instead of being allowed outside to train like other participants.
No comments yet