Avoid adultery: Run for your life
Adultery, as defined by the Bible, is having sexual relations with someone who isn’t your husband or wife. It’s also sexual unfaithfulness of a husband or wife in thoughts and act (Matthew 5:27-28).
Adultery, which hitherto was a taboo, is now rampant in our society, and we even hear stories of this in Christendom. However, it’s important to note that in the sight of God, adultery is a very serious offence, as it’s the 7th of the 10 Commandments God gave His people.
There’s the story of a young man who was blessed by God and within two years, had built two mansions, bought several cars and was doing very well. Then a woman came in the guise of seeking help from him because she was having problems in her home and before you knew it, an illicit affair started. The result was that they both left their spouses and started to live together. However, not long after, the man lost his business, sold all his houses and cars and the money was gone. Left with virtually nothing, the woman also left him for greener pastures.
The kingdom principle concerning adultery is that “if you take what is not yours, you will lose what is yours.”
Why adultery is common today:
• Lust of the eyes – most men are sexually stimulated by what they see!
• Ungodly attraction to the opposite sex.
• Indiscipline – the inability to control one’s urges.
• Free and casual sex.
• Unfulfilled sexual desires – when one of the partners is denied his or her sexual rights; or when he or she doesn’t get sexual satisfaction from his/her spouse.
• Unhealthy closeness to someone of the opposite sex.
• Physical contact – when a man or woman has physical contact, especially in sensitive areas.
• Spending too much time with the opposite sex.
• Manipulation and satanic attack.
• Being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Never be completely alone with someone of the opposite sex who isn’t your spouse.
• Spiritual carelessness – when your prayer life is dry, you may fall prey to serious sexual temptations.
• Fantasising – psychologists have shown that over 60 percent of a man’s idle thoughts are sexually oriented.
• Watching pornographic or romantic films: These days, many so-called soap operas exalt extra marital affairs and suggest it’s acceptable.
• reasons why adultery is bad:-
• It’s a sin against God. (Exodus 20:14)
• It’s a sin against your spouse, as well as against your soul. (Exodus 20:17)
• The man who commits adultery is a fool – Proverbs 5:20-23
• It’s taking coals of fire in one’s bosom – you’ll be burnt – Proverbs 6:27 – 29
• It reduces a man to a piece of bread – Proverbs 6:26
• It leads to hatred, bitterness, and mistrust in the home.
• It can lead to death, especially if the jealous partner seeks revenge – Proverbs 6:34-35
• No adulterer will inherit the Kingdom of God – Galatians 5:19-21; Rev 21:8
More next time
No comments yet