Christians’ weapons of warfare
In fact, some of these cultures further expressed the view that if they were aware of this reality beforehand, they would have probably not ventured coming to this world in the first instance.
Well, the reality is that we are already here and, indeed, we seem to be bombarded by all kinds of forces.
This truth is well attested to by the Scriptures, as we are told in 2 Corinthians 10:3 and Ephesians 6:12 that we are involved in a warfare.
The question that may come to mind is how do we confront the warfare? Surely, every warfare needs some sort of weapons to be executed. But, what is the nature as well as the identity of the weapons needed by believers in Christ Jesus to combat the forces militating against their wellbeing? To answer these questions, we look intently into 2 Corinthians 10 and Ephesians 6. In line with this, let us see three major truths about our weapons of warfare from this text.
● Our Warfare is SPIRITUAL – 2 Corinthians 10:3. For us to fully grasp the nature of our weapons, we need to first of all understand the nature of our warfare. Believers in Christ Jesus are not into physical combat. We are involved in spiritual battles.
In fact, even when it is obvious that we are physically assaulted because of our faith in the Lord, it is still traceable to the instigation from the pit of hell (see Ephesians 6:12; Mark 5:1-17).
● Our Weapons are SPIRITUAL – 2 Corinthians 10:4. Apostle Paul made it very clear that our weapons of warfare are not physical at all. They are spiritual. Another way of putting it is that they are divine. They are from God.
It is only normal that one executes a spiritual warfare with spiritual weapons. We cannot expect to confront the power of darkness with physical weapons; we must employ spiritual weapons.
● Our Weapons are STRONG – 2 Corinthians 10:4-6. Thirdly, we see from this text that our weapons of warfare are not only spiritual, but are also very potent. They are very strong. They are very efficient. The potency of these weapons is seen in the fact that they can pull down strongholds; cast down arguments and everything that exalted itself against the knowledge of God; and brings every thought into captivity.
Our warfare is spiritual and that is why Jesus Christ said to the disciples, “I am sending you out as sheep among the wolves.”
In Jesus Christ, our victory is guaranteed. Having noted the nature, as well as the potency of our weapons of warfare, the Scriptures further identified these weapons in the sixth chapter of the Epistle to the Ephesians.
It is interesting to note that the first five are for defence, while the last two are for attack.
That five of the seven weapons mentioned in this text are for defence clearly reveals to us the gravity of the attacks that the devil mobilises against us on regular basis. These weapons of warfare or whole Armour of God are:
• Belt of TRUTH – Ephesians 6:14.
• Breastplate of RIGHTEOUSNESS – Ephesians 6:14.
• Shoes of the GOSPEL – Ephesians 6:15.
• Shield of FAITH – Ephesians 6:16.
• Helmet of SALVATION – Ephesians 6:17.
• Sword of the SPIRIT – Ephesians 6:17.
• Constant PRAYER – Ephesians 6:18.
Remember, all of this together forms the whole Armour of God or what we may call the weapons of our warfare.
In other words, for us to be in position to really confront the power of darkness, we must put on the whole armour.
Some are not able to win the battles of their lives not because they are not saved, but because they are yet to put on the whole Armour of God.
Therefore, as we have the weapons of defence on, we must also arm ourselves with the weapons of attack for us to fully and continually overcome spiritual warfare.
It is worth noting that all of these weapons are available only to those who have come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, Who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
Revd. Olusola Idowu, PhD, Church Pastor, The Ajayi Dahunsi Memorial Baptist Church, Ilasamaja, Lagos
Living is Christ (Phil. 1:21) +234 708 703 8441
No comments yet