Importance of youth empowerment in 21st century
Before going down to the need for Youth Empowerment in the 21st Century, It is important to properly understand what Youth Empowerment is all about.
What is Youth Empowerment?
Youth empowerment can be defined as a process where people gain the ability and authority to make informed decisions and implement change in their own lives and the lives of other people. It is a means of encouraging youths to do great things for themselves and also to make great impact in their society.
As youths, you are at the center of absolute strength. You think big, hope for the best and envision a better tomorrow, therefore making continuous efforts to turn your dreams into reality. According to the global organization (UN) reports, Nigerian youth migrants in Europe and America are three times more than migrants from other west -African country. This report also added that the migration rate of the youth was 32 per cent in 1999, compared to less than 15 percent for the non-youth population. It was estimated that by the end of 2012, over 50 percent of the youths in Nigeria will be residing in foreign countries where job opportunities are easier to come by. This is excluding the massive migration rate of Nigerians to Canada and other foreign countries since 2017, if not more.
What are the Importance of Youth Empowerment?
Below are a few reasons why youth empowerment is important:
1. Poverty Eradication: Youth empowerment can curb the rate of poverty to a large level. One of the keys to empowering the youth is with skill development. When a youth is equipped with essential skills, he or she can utilize them to feed, assist others, and even invest for future use, aiding the nation economically. This will in-turn contribute to the increase in employability and add to the GDP of the nation.
2. Improved Standard of Education: Empowerment can help youth to understand the importance of education that leads to social improvement of the country. The empowered youths can donate educational facilities to primary, secondary and even to tertiary institutions. Empowering the youths academically accelerates the spirit of patriotism in the education sector. The empowered youths know the importance of education. This is why many individuals issue scholarships to the students because they understand the value of education due to the empowerment, which was given to them academically. Education exposes people to know what they did not know before.
3. Good Governance: When the youths are empowered, they empower the masses, thereby paving path for a better future. To build a better tomorrow, we need to nurture the youths of today.
4. Crime reduction and National Security: Empowerment ensures that youth has the necessary skill to sustain a livelihood, preventing him to adopt the path of crime.
5. Employment Creation: This is another importance of youth empowerment. A youth empowered society will not seriously suffer from the problem of unemployment that many nations are battling with in the current time. A skillful youth is a job creator.
Lastly, the 21st century is not in the distant future- it is today. Youth empowerment is of good importance to both nations and the empowered. Outside the government creating Youth empowering programs, the youths should see it as a duty to personally develop themselves, because at the end of the day the best thing you can bring to any environment is YOU.
Read books, take up classes or courses that involves personal development. Get a Life Coach! The time to reinstate your dreams and goals, and make it 100% achievable is right now! Get connected to a Certified Life Coach who can move you from your current state to where you desire to be, by simply downloading our Coach-Me App from the play store on your mobile phone. For more enquires, kindly contact us on 08077077000 or send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No comments yet