In Nigeria, Boli Tells A Story Of Unity In Division
Many stories have been told about Nigeria’s culture and lifestyle. As home to millions of diverse people, Nigeria is very broad in terms of its climate, geography, vegetation, ethnicity, language, culture, and religion.
Yet even with the underlying divisions that cut across Nigeria, there is one particular street food that serves as a string of togetherness and unity and that can only be the frenzied appreciation that the country’s people have for Boli.
Boli is undoubtedly one of Nigeria’s favourite street foods. It is from plantain and for some Nigerian bole can be considered as a snack or a meal. Whichever you prefer to call it, one thing is for sure you will find Boli at every corner, every street, every town, every city, and every state in Nigeria.
I cannot even count the many times I have heard Nigerians pray they never have any medical conditions that will put a stop to their love for Bole. Here is how to prepare the delicious Nigeria staple street food.
- Ripe or unripe plantain
- Tilapia fish or any preferable fish
- Palm oil
- Hot pepper
- Seasoning cube
- Shredded Utazi leaves
- Wash and blend your tomatoes, pepper, and onions.
- Wash and boil your Ponmo
- Cut the Ponmo into small pieces
- After that, heat the palm oil in a pot for 2 minutes.
- Then add your chopped onions inside the heating oil and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the blended pepper to the oil
- Add some salt and seasoning cube
- leave it for about 2 minutes and stir consistency.
- Sprinkle your Utazi leave inside the sauce
- Preheat your oven and grill until hot
- Peel the plantain then make a slit on the side
- Rub a little salt on the plantains
- Then place the peeled plantains on the grill rack
- Placed the plantain into the hot oven for about 10 minutes
- Make sure you turn the plantains over at intervals till done
- For the fish, preheat your oven grill to medium-high heat
- Wash and rinse your fish
- Rub the fish evenly with olive oil
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the skin of the fish
- Grill for some minutes on each side until the desired degree of doneness