Fire renders 20 homeless, destroys property in Rivers
About 20 people were rendered homeless, while property worth millions of naira were destroyed when fire completely razed down a building at No 9 Awkwuzu Street, Mile1 Diobu, in Port Harcourt City Local Council of Rivers State.
An eyewitness, Prince Friday said the fire, which started in the early hours of yesterday, was caused by a woman who left her cooking stove in her room and went out.
According to him, the fire affected 20 apartments and six shops, adding that no Fire Service was in sight.
Consequently, occupants tried to put out the fire, while others were busy rescuing their valuables.
He said: “Fire Service was not on sight, but the Police (Divisional Police headquarters Mile 1 Diobu) were on the ground to prevent hoodlums from carting away tenants’ property.”