Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Man allegedly kills another over N200


Another jumps into canal at Nyanya
A 34-year-old man, Mayowa Olabiyi, was on Wednesday brought before an Ebute Meta Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly hacking a man to death over N200. Olabiyi appeared before the Chief Magistrate, Mr. O.O. Olatunji, on two counts of conspiracy and murder.

His plea was not taken and has been remanded at the Ikoyi Prison, Lagos for the next 30 days. Olatunji directed that the case file should be sent to the State Director of Public Prosecutions for advice.

Earlier, Police Prosecutor, Oladele Adebayo, told the court that the accused committed the offences on August 26, at 6:30p.m. at No. 23, Irepodun Street, Shangisha, Magodo. He alleged that the accused and two others now at large, had hacked Akeem Ajilogba, 23, with a matchet during a brawl over N200.


The offences, Adebayo noted, contravened Sections 223 and 233 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015, which stipulates death sentence for offenders. The case has been adjourned to October 11, for the DPP’s advice.

Meanwhile, a man, names withheld, who on Tuesday plunged into the canal below the bridge between Nyanya and Karu Junction in the Federal Capital Territory, has denied being a robber. The man’s plunge into the canal drew the attention of passersby and motorists, who were on their way to work, causing severe gridlock on the Abuja-Keffi road.

Speaking with a correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) after he was taken out of the canal, the young man said he was an indigene of Obogwu, a town in Imo State and that he worked with a road transport company located in Jabi, Abuja.

At the Karu Divisional Headquarters of the police, where the victim was taken to in a Toyota Hilux van after he was rescued, a source said the man could not talk much considering the injury he had sustained on the face and legs. He was later transported to the Nyanya General Hospital, but was rejected by the officials there due to lack of bed space.

According to the source, the young man was then referred to the Asokoro District Hospital where he received medical attention. When NAN visited the Accident and Emergency Section of the hospital in Asokoro, the man was seen being treated by some medical personnel with three police officers interrogating him.

When asked: “Did you go and rob someone’’? by one of the policemen, he said: “No’’. On sighting the NAN reporter in the emergency ward, one of the police officers interrogating the young man ordered him to leave the place immediately.

Responding, the Police Public Relations Officer, FCT Command, DSP Anjuguri Mamzah, told NAN that the matter had not been officially reported to him as of the time of writing this report.

In another development, no fewer than nine persons, including one Ramatu Mamman, a pregnant woman and her two-year-old son, Saminu, perished in a boat mishap in Niger on Monday. Director General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NISEMA), Alhaji Ahmed Inga, disclosed this in Minna yesterday.

The deceased were said to have boarded the boat from Shata Sabo in Shiroro local government area when it capsized midway into their journey to Shata Soho in Bosso local government area, killing nine of its 11 passengers at 10:00a.m.

Among those who lost their lives, were a mechanic, John Moses and two of his apprentices, Khalifa Danladi, 14, and Ubale Usman, 16. The trio were based in Nangawu community also in Bosso local government area and were going to repair a broken-down vehicle when they met their death.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet