Four years after Deborah’s killing, group demands renewed investigation, prosecution

Deborah Emmanuel

Four years after Deborah Samuel Yakubu was killed by a mob at Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, the National Coalition Against Mass Killings, Extra-Judicial Killings, Mob Actions and Impunity (NCAMKI) has demanded renewed investigation and prosecution of those responsible for her death.

Deborah, a 200-level student of the institution, was killed on May 12, 2022, after she was accused of blasphemy.

The incident, which occurred within the school premises, was captured on video and the footage circulated widely.

In a statement signed by Agunbiade Tunde on behalf of NCAMKI, the coalition questioned why the case had not resulted in the prosecution of those it described as the principal perpetrators, despite the availability of video evidence.

Two suspects, Bilyaminu Aliyu and Aminu Hukunci, were arrested and arraigned before a Sokoto Chief Magistrate’s Court in May 2022 over their alleged involvement in the incident. Reports at the time said they faced charges of criminal conspiracy and inciting public disturbance.

The two suspects were subsequently discharged after the prosecution failed to diligently pursue the case.

A report on the proceedings said the prosecution was absent from court, leading the Chief Magistrate to strike out the case and discharge the defendants.

The Sokoto State Police Command had also said in May 2023 that it was still pursuing some prime suspects allegedly involved in Deborah’s killing.

NCAMKI therefore called on the Nigeria Police Force, Sokoto State Government, Ministry of Justice and other relevant authorities to provide a comprehensive account of the status of the investigation.

The coalition demanded clarification on the identities and status of all suspects and persons of interest, an explanation for the collapse of the prosecution against the two arraigned suspects, and information on whether other suspects identified by investigators had been arrested, prosecuted or cleared.

It also called for the preservation and forensic examination of video and other digital evidence relating to the incident.

According to the coalition, an allegation of blasphemy or any other offence cannot give individuals or mobs the authority to impose punishment outside the law.

NCAMKI warned that failure to prosecute perpetrators of mob killings could undermine public confidence in the justice system and encourage further acts of mob violence.

The coalition said Deborah’s family deserved more than condolences, stressing that her death should not become merely an anniversary issue.

“Condolences cannot replace justice. Outrage cannot replace prosecution. Arrests cannot replace conviction, and four years cannot erase a crime,” the statement said.

NCAMKI urged the authorities to establish what further investigative and prosecutorial steps remained possible and to hold accountable any official whose failure, neglect or obstruction contributed to the collapse of the case.

The coalition also appealed to authorities and Nigerians not to turn Deborah’s killing into a religious confrontation, insisting that the matter should be treated as a question of human rights, rule of law and accountability.

It said the central issue remained whether anyone could be publicly killed by a mob and the perpetrators subsequently escape the reach of the law.

NCAMKI urged the government to ensure that Deborah’s case was not forgotten and that every person found responsible was brought before a competent court to face the law.

Join Our Channels

Taboola Recommendation Widget