Djokovic gets support on relief fund plan for lower-ranked players
Jan-Lennard Struff backed Novak Djokovic’s idea to start a fund to support lower-ranked players amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Djokovic revealed earlier this month he had spoken to Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal about a relief fund that would see up to $4.5million distributed to lower-ranked players with the ATP Tour suspended until at least July 13.
Struff, world number 34, backed the plan and said it was important that ATP Player Council president Djokovic had led the way.
“You have to look at [it] from two sides. Of course, I have no income, but I have managed to play well in the last few years and have been able to put some money aside. I think it’s a good idea,” the German told Stats Perform.
“I think it’s very important that the initiative comes from Novak Djokovic. It shows that he wants to take care of other players as well. I think that’s very important because it’s very important for tennis in general.
“I would like to support this, of course. Many players will have problems because they have no income in this area.
“But I would go one step further and say that from the 100 or 150 rankings onwards, players will have problems and, of course, need this support.”
Wimbledon was cancelled for the first time since World War II, while the French Open has been pushed back to begin in September.
But Struff, who reached the fourth round at Roland Garros last year, questioned whether the French Open – and even US Open – would go ahead.