Inter confirms Mancini out
Inter Milan said Monday its coach Roberto Mancini is leaving, citing a “mutual agreement” amid media reports the Serie A club’s new Chinese owners decided fresh blood is needed to rejuvenate the team.
“F.C. Internazionale Milano confirms that it has parted company with head coach Roberto Mancini by mutual agreement,” the club said in a statement.
Mancini is tipped in the media to be replaced by Dutch coach Frank de Boer.
Corriere dello Sport and Gazzetta dello Sport reported there was a contract dispute with Mancini and that the Chinese owners, the Suning group, were furious after Inter lost 6-1 to Tottenham Hotspur in a friendly in Oslo on Thursday.
Mancini had been coach for two years and was under contract until 2017. He was given severance pay of 2.5 million euros ($2.8 million) net, and will take his entire staff with him, Corriere dello Sport said.
De Boer left Ajax Amsterdam at the end of last season.
“Inter would like to place on record its thanks to Roberto for the work carried out with the team since joining in November 2014,” the club said.
No comments yet