Nigeria’s Oto ‘Joe Boy’ Joseph battles Ghanaian for CBC title
Bout holds December 12 in Nigeria
One of Nigeria’s reigning boxers, Oto ‘Joe Boy’ Joseph, who was stripped of his African Boxing Union (ABU) lightweight title in controversial circumstances last year, will face a Ghanaian opponent for the Commonwealth Boxing Council (CBC) title in December.
Joseph, who hails from Akwa Ibom State, is one of the most reverred boxers in Nigeria, having ruled the ABU lightweight category for many years.
With a record of 16-0, including seven knockouts, Joseph dumped the Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBB of C) some months ago and took his boxing trade to neighbouring West African country, Ghana, alleging that he was being frustrated by some officials back home.
The Guardian learnt yesterday that Joseph’s new Ghanaian promoter, who secured the CBC fight, has decided to bring the bout to Nigeria.
“I was already preparing for my trip to Ghana when my promoter called to inform me that he is bringing the fight to Nigeria,” Joseph told The Guardian in a telephone chat yesterday. “For now, I don’t know the venue of the fight, but it will hold on December 12 in Nigeria.”
Joseph was scheduled to defend his ABU title on October 12, 2019, against Rilwan ‘Real One’ Oladosu, but the fight tagged ‘Fight of The Decade’ could not hold following a shoulder injury Joe Boy sustained while training with his sparring partner. He subsequently failed to recover on time to fight on the rescheduled date of December 28. He was subsequently stripped of the ABU title.
Speaking ahead of the December 12 CBC title fight, Joseph said: “I have seen the picture of my Ghanaian opponent, and I don’t see him as a major threat. There is no way he will beat me in my country. Even, if the fight holds in Ghana, I will floor him. I know my strength, and I know what I am capable of doing inside the ring. It will be my first CBC fight, and I won’t disappoint my fans.”
No comments yet