Encountering the faithful father
Today, billions of people worldwide celebrate the gift of fatherhood. This is generally referred to as the Fathers’ Day Celebration.
On a day like this, fathers in general, and Christian fathers in particular, are appreciated for their efforts towards building healthy families and society at large. They are equally encouraged to be more committed to this God-given assignment.
Fathers are expected to play a leading role in their children’s upbringing, families and the society.
By doing this, Christian Fathers would not only be carrying out their divinely ordained assignment, but would also be modelling the faithfulness and love of our Heavenly Father, Who is ever Faithful and Loving.
For Christian Fathers to effectively carry out this assignment, they must be available. It is, however, unfortunate to note that many fathers, today, are distracted from their primary responsibility of raising Godly children, families and society. They are majorly preoccupied with insatiable desire for wealth, fame and power.
Consequently, many homes are deprived of the blessings of present or available fathers. R
eally, when fathers are available to play their leading role at homes, the families and the society would enjoy the following major blessings, as derivable from Proverbs 22:6:
• The Blessing of DIRECTION (Proverbs 22:6). When fathers faithfully carry out the biblical injunction of training their children in the way of the LORD, they are more or less providing them with Godly direction. No one can successfully arrive at his destination without direction.
• The Blessing of DISCIPLINE (Proverbs 22:6). We often think of discipline only from the perspective of punishment, but that may be parochial. Discipline has to do with helping people to imbibe good behaviour, right conduct and great sense of self-control.
• The Blessing of DEMONSTRATION (Proverbs 22:6). When we truly train, we would surely showcase how things ought to be done. Fathers are not just expected to teach, they are to also train, and training involves demonstration. Children need to see us do what we desire them do.
As elementary as the need for fathers to be available and carry out their God-given assignment may sound, it is very important for us to note that they may not be able to effectively do it until they have encountered the Faithful Father, the LORD God Almighty through our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. This is because one cannot give what he does not possess. It is when fathers encounter the Faithful Father that they come know that:
• The Faithful Father Keeps His Covenant – Deuteronomy 7:9. By this, we mean God keeps His promises and continues to work on His original plan.
• The Faithful Father Keeps His Mercy – Deuteronomy 7:9. This means that despite our shortcomings and unworthiness, God continues to nurture and bless us.
The knowledge of the above will position fathers to effectively carry out their God-given assignment. Fathers, be available to your families. Happy 2019 Fathers’ Day!
Revd. Olusola Idowu, PhD, Church Pastor, The Ajayi Dahunsi Memorial Baptist Church, Ilasamaja, Lagos.
Living is Christ (Phil. 1:21)
+234 708 703 8441
No comments yet