Guard your heart
Guarding our hearts should be our top priority in our everyday Christian living. Our hearts are the headquarters of our life. The heart is the very core of life. Our heart is the truest expression of who we really are. Heart is used in the Scripture as the most comprehensive term for the authentic person. It is the part of our being where we desire, deliberate, and decide.
You are what your heart is, the Bible says in Proverbs 23:7, “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” Our rise and fall begins with our heart, our defeat also begins in our heart. Whatever you accept in your heart becomes your reality.
The wise man, Solomon said, above all things, that we should guard our hearts with all diligence because out of it flow the issues of life. The Message Bible translation says, “Keep vigilant watch over your heart.” God is interested in the headquarters of your life (heart) and Satan is also interested in it. Therefore, guard your headquarters. The battle of life takes place in the heart.
Beware of the devil’s assignment to pollute your heart with the cancers of the heart. In Acts 5:3, “But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?
You need to keep vigilant over your heart so that it does not get contaminated with the cancers of the heart. The Cancers of the heart include hatred, revengeful spirit, and piling up of offences, worry, anxiety, lies, bitterness, anger, unforgiveness, etc.
When you wake up in the morning, what is the first thought that comes to your mind? It is possible that the first thought may be how you will destroy that brother or sister. But for David, his case was different. David said, “early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee.” A Heart that seeks after God cannot plan evil for another person. A merry heart refreshes. It takes a cancerous mind to think how to destroy the other.
We need to purge our hearts from every cancer that has polluted it so that it can be a tabernacle for God.
Three Reasons Why You Should Guard Your Heart?
• Because your heart is extremely valuable. We don’t guard worthless things. You throw your garbage into the Dustbin. Why? Because it is worthless. Not so with your heart. It is the essence of who you are. It is your authentic self—the core of your being. It is where all your dreams, your desires, and your passions live. It is that part of you that connects with God and other people.
• Because your heart is the source of everything you do. King Solomon says it is the “wellspring of life.” In other words, it is the source of everything else in your life. Your heart overflows into thoughts, words, and actions.
• Because your heart is under constant attack. When Solomon says to guard your heart, he implies that you are living in a combat zone—one in which there are casualties.
Many of us are oblivious to the reality of this war. We have an enemy who is bent on our destruction. He not only opposes God, but he opposes everything that is aligned with Him—including us.
How do We Guard our Hearts?
• By putting away every cancer of the heart. Ephesians 4:31 says, “Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:” We must get rid of the trash in our heart.
• By being renewed in the Spirit of our Mind. We renew our mind by living in righteousness and holiness. We should embrace the challenge that the apostle Paul gave Timothy to purify himself so that he would be a “special instrument, set apart, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work” (2 Tim. 2:24).
Today’s Nugget: The heart is the wellspring of life.
Prayer: Lord, help me to keep watch over my heart in Jesus Name, Amen.
Prayer lines: 09078154261.
Dr. Chidi Okoroafor
Assemblies of God Nigeria
No comments yet