The summary of the christian life
The above scripture shows us that the Christian life is a RACE, which we are called to run. It is a race we are called to win, and in order to run to win; we need to understand the parameters of the race. It is a race. Therefore it has:
• A beginning: The beginning of this race is the New Birth. Our walk and relationship with God do not start until we are born again. (John 3:3). At the New Birth, the following things happen:
a. You receive Eternal life (1 John 5:10-11)
You partake of the Divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4)
• There is a Goal: The Christian race has a GOAL. There is a purpose to Christian life. Christianity is not strolling nor is it tourism but it is a pilgrimage. Being born again is not an end in itself, but a means to an end. You are born again to become something; to become a soldier, an ambassador of Christ. The goal is CHRISTLIKENESS (Eph. 4:13, 15).
• There is an Inspiration: The Christian is called to do the “Possible”. The cloud of witnesses bears testimony to the truth and witnesses to God’s Love, Power and Faithfulness. Ask Moses, Joshua, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Paul and Peter, among others. They did it. You can also do it. They made it to glory. You will also make it to glory.
• There is a Handicap: The Christian race is not easy. It is not a bed of roses. There is warfare, (Eph. 6:12) but God has provided us with lethal and effective weapons to fight the war. Therefore, we cannot fail. Sin is a handicap. Also weights, habits, and pleasures that weigh us down and hold us back. The enemy depresses and oppresses, but we are called to win.
• There is an Enablement: The Holy Spirit is our helper, helping us to know (Jn. 14:20), to pray (Rm. 8:26) and to do (John 14:12). There is a presence to help (Psalm 46:1, Is. 43:2, Heb. 13:5). Co-operate with the Holy Spirit and He will see you through.
• There is an Example: The Christian race has an example, Jesus Himself. He had a goal (Heb. 2:10, Rm. 8:19). He endured the cross and despised the shame (Heb. 12:2). He was rebuked, reviled, persecuted. Therefore, go to the place of reproach with Him (Heb. 13:13). He is your example (John. 15:17-23).
• There is a Determination: The Christian race demands determination. Only the violent take the Kingdom by force (Matt. 11:12). There must be a determination to lay aside (Heb. 12:1), to look away from distractions (Heb. 12:2), from religion, traditions, worldly pleasures, etc.
Join us for the MIDNIGHT CRY on DOVE TV (DSTV channel 349, GOTV channel 83 and StarTimes channel 464) every Thursday by 7pm and on Rock City 101.9 FM every Sunday by 9pm. For more information, please call: 08037253604 or 07034495177.
Bro. Kunle Adigun, Friends of the Bridegroom International Ministries (FOBIM)