The Holy Ghost and supernatural church growth
Text: Acts 2:41-44.
The first thing to say is that God is the owner of the church not man. The church belongs to Jesus Christ because He purchased the church with His blood.
Secondly, supernatural growth is the growth that is beyond human comprehension; that which is beyond explanation by human philosophies or principles. As good as church growth ideas and strategy are, without the Holy Ghost, nothing significant can happen and last for posterity.
In the early church in Acts 2, after the outpouring of the Holy Ghost, 3,000 persons were added to the church in one day without Radio, TV, Billboards, tracts, social media and the use of technology. Three things triggered this explosion:
• Obedience: Jesus told His disciples in Acts 1:4-5 not to leave Jerusalem until they were baptised in the Holy Ghost. So, some 120 people spent 51 days praying in the Upper Room and God intervened. Without God, there cannot be growth in the real sense of it.
• The Holy Ghost came: The baptism of the Holy Ghost manifested in the Apostles speaking in tongues. They were taken for being drunk, but Peter rising up to speak preached and the hearts of his listeners were pierced so much they asked him saying “what can we do”? He answered: “Repent and God will give you the promise of the Spirit.” This answer is still relevant today.
• The working of miracles by the Holy Spirit. In Acts 4:4 after Peter, James and John had healed the crippled man at the Beautiful gate, 4,000 souls were added to the church that day. Such an unprecedented increase only came by the working of the Holy Ghost.
We also see in Acts 5:14 that multitudes (this time the number of people could not be counted) were added to church after Ananias and Sapphira his wife died for lying to the Holy Ghost. (Acts 5:3). The power of the Holy Ghost drew men to Christ because the fear of the church fell upon them.
In Acts 6:7, after the Deacons were appointed and hands were laid upon them impacting them with the Holy Ghost’s power, the Bible records that God’s word increased and the disciples multiplied and a great company became obedient to the faith.
In Acts 13:44, it is recorded that as a result of the Holy Ghost in the ministry of Paul, almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of God.
In Acts 9:32-35, after Peter healed a man named Eneas bedridden for 8 years, all they that dwelt in Lydda and Saron turned to the Lord. Two cities were converted by the Holy Ghost’s power.
It is the working of the Holy Spirit that brings about supernatural growth, not gimmicks or man-made schemes. In order to enjoy lasting and consistent growth in the church, we need the outpouring of the Holy Ghost. Imagine the church that started with just 120 people, and in a short time had spread over whole regions and today we have over 2 billion people all over the world professing Christianity. Only the power of the Holy Ghost can do this.
As believers, our call is to be obedient to the word of our Master Jesus; to tarry in prayers until we are baptised with the Holy Spirit and to preach the word in boldness with signs and wonders. This is the only time tested way to achieve supernatural growth.
• Lord Jesus, baptise your church afresh with the Holy Ghost and with power for supernatural growth
• Father in the name of Jesus, make me an agent of growth through the power of the Holy Spirit.
• O God my father, build your church and increase us numerically and spiritually in Jesus name.
For enquiries contact: Elshaddai Covenant Church, 7, Social Club Road, Off Charity Road, Abule-Egba. Tel: 08080929292; 08182281184 (WhatsApp messages only).
No comments yet