30-day rant challenge: Nigerians misunderstood me and Jarvis, says Peller

TikTok content creator Habeeb Hamzat, popularly known as Peller, has said Nigerians misunderstood his earlier comments on the trending “30-day rant challenge” and the viral video made by fellow influencer, Jarvis.
Speaking via his Instagram page on Thursday, Peller said his statement was wrongly interpreted by many who believe he was mocking the challenge and only trying to protect his income from TikTok.
“Nigeria u misunderstanding me and Jarvis please u all should try to understand am not the president i am Peller,” he wrote alongside a video.
In the new clip, the 19-year-old TikToker also cleared the air, saying, “Hello Nigerians, I am here to tell you something. You guys misunderstood the video. The live video I made was screen recorded by someone, and where I said you should go to the market to go and rant, no, that is not what I meant.”
He added, “A lot of people have been saying I am concerned about my source of income. I am not the only one on TikTok that is making money from it. A lot of people are making money from the app. Even people without followers are making money from there. People know that contents go viral on TikTok.”
On Jarvis, he said, “Us that Jarvis was saying in her live video meant that Nigerians have money.”
Peller had earlier faced backlash after he warned Nigerians to stop ranting on TikTok, suggesting that such behaviour could push the government to ban the platform entirely.
“If you want to really rant, go to Instagram; go to the market; don’t rant here on TikTok. If they ban TikTok, that’s where we will have issue,” he said in a previous video.
He added, “Let’s protest. Let’s go outside. Let’s leave TikTok. Online something is just mumu mumu.”
The “30-day rant challenge” is currently trending across Nigerian TikTok and X, with citizens using it to vent about the rising cost of living and the harsh economy under the Tinubu-led administration.
The challenge started after a video of NYSC member Ushie Uguamaye went viral, where she slammed President Bola Tinubu, calling him a “terrible president” whose policies are crushing the poor and businesses.
Peller, reacting to the wave of daily rants, earlier said, “After ranting for 30 days, you that say you’ve been suffering, you’ll go back to the suffering.”
His remarks sparked mixed reactions. While some supported him, others dragged him for being insensitive and only looking out for his own pocket.
A user, @LADE, said, “That’s why it is good to have a stable source of income. Only someone who is unemployed would fear TikTok being banned. Guy do something with the money you are getting from TikTok, to avoid this kind ranting. I have always liked you… but you are going too far.”
Now, both Peller and Jarvis are trying to calm the storm, insisting they were misunderstood and never meant to shut down the voices of struggling Nigerians.

Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.
0 Comments
We will review and take appropriate action.