Friday, 4th April 2025
To guardian.ng
Search
News  

Customs seizes 125,00 litres of petrol in Kebbi

By Sola Richards
25 March 2025   |   12:32 pm
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has intercepted 125,000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), commonly known as petrol, in Kebbi State as part of Operation Whirlwind. The seizure, described as the largest fuel bust since the operation’s inception, was announced by Assistant Comptroller-General Hissaini Ejibunu, the National Coordinator of Operation Whirlwind, during a press briefing…
A man carries a jerrycan of fuel as he walks at a petrol station in Lagos on September 4, 2024. Already desperate with inflation, soaring food costs and a battered naira currency, Nigerians grappled on September 4, 2024 with widespread fuel scarcities and a decision by the state oil company to increase pump prices.
For many, it was the latest measure to eat into their budgets as President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s government introduces reforms aimed at reviving the economy of Africa’s most populous nation. (Photo by FAWAZ OYEDEJI / AFP)

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has intercepted 125,000 litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), commonly known as petrol, in Kebbi State as part of Operation Whirlwind.

The seizure, described as the largest fuel bust since the operation’s inception, was announced by Assistant Comptroller-General Hissaini Ejibunu, the National Coordinator of Operation Whirlwind, during a press briefing in Birnin Kebbi on Tuesday.

Ejibunu stated that operatives from the Kebbi Area Command and the Federal Operations Unit, Zone B, acting on intelligence, seized three Scania trucks loaded with fuel in Tsamiya, a border community.

“The confiscated fuel—packed in 4,375 jerrycans of 25 litres each and 54 drums of 200 litres—had a Duty Paid Value of ₦125 million and was allegedly being smuggled across the border,” he said.

The intercepted trucks, registered in the Republic of Benin, had been under surveillance before the operation. Additional fuel was seized at known smuggling hotspots, including Dolekeina, Zaria Kalakala, Tunga Waterside, and Lolo Tsamiya.

Ejibunu noted the collaboration with the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), saying, “The success of this operation was credited to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA), whose intelligence collaboration was key in disrupting the smuggling ring.”

[Ad]

Representing the Comptroller-General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, Ejibunu praised the officers’ vigilance and the support from National Security Adviser Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

“This operation proves the strength of inter-agency collaboration. We remain committed to dismantling smuggling networks and holding economic saboteurs accountable,” Adeniyi said.

Kebbi Command Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Chidi Chukwumeziri Nwokorie, reaffirmed the agency’s focus on intensifying anti-smuggling efforts while supporting legitimate trade.

READ ALSO:IPMAN assures lower petrol prices with direct Dangote Refinery lifting

He urged the public to report suspicious activities, stating, “Customs would continue to ensure full compliance with trade regulations.”

Operation Whirlwind is a nationwide initiative launched by the Nigeria Customs Service to combat the smuggling of petroleum products and other contraband across Nigeria’s borders.

Introduced amid rising concerns over fuel scarcity and economic losses due to illegal cross-border trade, the operation collaborates with agencies like ONSA and NMDPRA to enhance intelligence-sharing and enforcement.

Kebbi State, located near Nigeria’s border with Benin, has been a focal point for such activities due to its proximity to smuggling routes.

In this article

0 Comments