Monday, 24th January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Fire outbreak in Ayede-Ogbese

By Oluwaseun Akingboye, Akure
31 May 2015   |   11:08 pm
INFERNO broke out last Wednesday night at Ayede-Ogbese, in Akure North Local Council of Ondo State, destroying fashion design equipment and property worth N800, 000.
FIRE INCIDENT

The debris after the fire

Destroys fashion design equipment and property 

INFERNO broke out last Wednesday night at Ayede-Ogbese, in Akure North Local Council of Ondo State, destroying fashion design equipment and property worth N800, 000.

The Guardian learnt that the shop became combustible and erupted into wildfire around midnight.

Night crawlers noticed the explosion and raised alarm in the neighbourhood to put out the fire and save nearby shops and buildings.

According to an eyewitness who pleaded anonymity, they heard the combustible sound and called out to the people of the town, who jumped out of their beds to scamper for water to douse the conflagration.

They also pulled down the structure so as to avert further spread to adjoining buildings.

The debris and glowing embers at the scene the next morning on No 16, Ilemo Street, in a very decrepit state, pointed to the fact that several valuable materials were destroyed in the unfortunate incident, whose cause was still a mystery to everyone in the community.

Raheem Sikiru, the fashion designer and victim of the sudden fire outbreak, who left his shop around 9: 00pm that fateful day, got devastated when he received a call at home that his shop had been gutted by fire and all his properties burnt to ashes.

He told The Guardian that he lost many valuables such as the Tico Designer Machine worth N65, 000, 20 E designing machine, Zig-zag designing machine, two sewing machines and numerous textile materials for sale and those belonging to his customers.

Raheem, an employer of labour, who had more than four apprentices working for him, lamented that he left his hometown, Osogbo, in Osun State to establish in Ayede-Ogbese and all his 14 years hard labour and hard-earned savings have been gutted by fire in one night.

Samuel Abraham, a photographer whose shop is adjacent to the burnt down shop, said he received a phone call about the fire incident around 5: 00am.

He wondered what could have caused the incident since nobody was sleeping in the shop to have lit a candle and, as others claimed, there was no light in the town that time that would have suggested the possibility of power surge.

Speaking with The Guardian, Raheem appealed to the state government, institutions, philanthropic organisations and individuals to come to his rescue as the fire had burnt down all he had worked for in the past 14 years.